Are you looking for a laser cutting and engraving machine that can handle large and complex projects with ease and precision? Do you want to create stunning products from a variety of materials with minimal effort and maximum efficiency? If so, you might want to check out the Thunder Laser Nova 51, a powerhouse of a machine that can do it all. It is simply one of the best laser cutters on the market.
The Thunder Laser Nova 51 is a CO2 laser cutting and engraving machine that can accommodate materials up to 4×8 feet wide using the pass-through feature. It comes with either a 100 watt or a 130 watt laser tube, giving you enough power to cut through thick and hard materials. It also has a large working area of 51.2 x 35.4 inches, allowing you to work on multiple pieces at once.
The Thunder Laser Nova 51 is not only powerful, but also versatile and easy to use. It can process a wide range of materials, such as wood, acrylic, leather, fabric, paper, rubber, glass, metal, and more. It can also produce a variety of products, such as furniture, toys, crafts, signs, awards, jewelry, and more. It has many features that make it user-friendly, such as a camera system, a smart board, an alarm lamp, an auto focus system, and a red dot pointer.
In this article, we will review the Thunder Laser Nova 51 in detail and show you what it can do for you. We will cover the following topics:
- What is Thunder Laser Nova 51 and how does it work?
- What can you do with Thunder Laser Nova 51?
- How to set up and operate Thunder Laser Nova 51?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Thunder Laser Nova 51?
By the end of this article, you will have a clear idea of whether the Thunder Laser Nova 51 is the right machine for you and how to get started with it. So let’s dive in!
What is Thunder Laser Nova 51 and how does it work?
A CO2 laser cutting and engraving machine is a device that uses a laser beam to cut or engrave materials. The laser beam is generated by a sealed CO2 glass tube that is filled with a mixture of gases. The tube is connected to a high-voltage power supply that excites the gas molecules and produces infrared light. The light is then reflected by mirrors and focused by a lens onto the material.
The laser beam can either vaporize or melt the material depending on the power and speed settings. The vaporized material is removed by an air assist system that blows away the smoke and dust. The melted material is either left as it is or blown away by an air assist system depending on the desired effect.
The Thunder Laser Nova 51 is one of the models of CO2 laser cutting and engraving machines offered by Thunder Laser USA, a company based in Dallas, Texas. The company was founded in 2015 and has been providing high-quality machines and service to customers across the US.
The Thunder Laser Nova 51 has the following specifications and components:
- Engraving / Working Area: 51.2 x 35.4 x 9.1 inches
- Max Part Size: Pass through closed: 55.1 x 40.6 x 9.1 inches; Pass through open: 55.1 x ∞ x .8 inches
- Laser Wattage: 100w or 130w
- Intelligent Memory Capacity: Multiple File Storage up to 128MB
- Laser Source: Sealed CO2 Glass Tube
- Electrical Requirements: Standard 110v AC 60Hz Single Phase, dedicated 20A circuit
- Air Assist: Air pump 5-7psi included
- Machine Size: 74.8 x 55.3 x 40.9 inches
- Software: LightBurn Software included for two computers
- Training: One hour remote setup training included, optional four hour training available
- Red Dot Pointer: Shows where laser will fire, allows for “dry run”, allows for easy positioning on material
- Camera System: Optional ThunderCam allows you to see materials on the laser bed via the software for easy positioning of engravings on strange-shaped objects.
- Operating Modes: Optimized raster, vector, or combined modes
- Easy Adjustable Home: When engraving items that are not easily placed at the top corner of the laser, you can set a new home position by hand with a new origin
- Motion Control System: LeadShine Hybrid-Servo Motors with engraving speeds up to 1,000mm/s (39″/second)
- Resolution: Up to 500dpi with included 2″ head or 800dpi with HR head
- Safety: Open cover protection, no-water protection, heat alarm system
- Auto Focus: Infrared Auto-Focus system to easily bring material into focus
- Alarm Lamp: Visually alerted when the job is finished running
- Smart Board: Turns the exhaust system on and off automatically so you are not wasting precious HVAC
- Industrial Chiller: Keeps the laser tube cooled down while in operation.
The Thunder Laser Nova 51 is a high-end machine that can compete with other brands such as Epilog, Trotec, or Universal. It has some advantages over other models of Thunder Laser, such as the Nova 24, Nova 35, or Nova 63. For example, it has a larger working area than the Nova 24 and Nova 35, and a higher power than the Nova 24. It also has a lower price than the Nova 63, which has a similar working area but a higher power.
What Can You Do with Thunder Laser Nova 51?
The Thunder Laser Nova 51 can process a wide range of materials and produce a variety of products. Some of the materials that can be processed by this machine are:
- Wood: The machine can cut and engrave wood of different types and thicknesses, such as plywood, MDF, balsa, bamboo, etc. You can create products such as furniture, toys, crafts, signs, boxes, puzzles, etc.
- Acrylic: The machine can cut and engrave acrylic of different colors and thicknesses. You can create products such as awards, trophies, ornaments, jewelry, keychains, etc.
- Leather: The machine can cut and engrave leather of different types and thicknesses. You can create products such as wallets, belts, bags, shoes, etc.
- Fabric: The machine can cut and engrave fabric of different types and thicknesses. You can create products such as clothing, accessories, quilts, etc.
- Paper: The machine can cut and engrave paper of different types and thicknesses. You can create products such as cards, invitations, bookmarks, stickers, etc.
- Rubber: The machine can cut and engrave rubber of different types and thicknesses. You can create products such as stamps, gaskets, mats, etc.
- Glass: The machine can engrave glass of different types and thicknesses. You can create products such as wine glasses, bottles, mirrors, etc.
- Metal: The machine can engrave metal of different types and thicknesses with the help of a metal marking compound. You can create products such as tags, plaques, dog tags, etc.
The Thunder Laser Nova 51 has many features that make it versatile and easy to use. Some of these features are:
- Pass-Through Doors: The machine has doors on both sides that allow you to work with pieces larger than the size of the bed. You can use this feature to cut or engrave materials up to 4×8 feet wide.
- Camera System: The machine has an optional camera system that allows you to see the materials on the laser bed via the software. You can use this feature to easily position your engravings on strange-shaped objects or to align your designs with existing marks or holes on the material.
- Smart Board: The machine has a smart board that turns the exhaust system on and off automatically depending on the status of the laser. This feature saves you energy and prevents unnecessary noise and dust.
- Alarm Lamp: The machine has an alarm lamp that visually alerts you when the job is finished running. This feature saves you time and prevents overburning or overheating of the material.
- Auto Focus System: The machine has an infrared auto focus system that automatically adjusts the height of the laser head according to the thickness of the material. This feature ensures optimal cutting or engraving quality and prevents damage to the lens or material.
How to Set Up and Operate Thunder Laser Nova 51?
The Thunder Laser Nova 51 is easy to set up and operate with some basic steps. Here are the steps to install and configure the machine:
- Connect the power cord to a standard 110v AC 60Hz single phase power outlet with a dedicated 20A circuit breaker.
- Connect the water chiller to the laser tube using the provided hoses. Fill the water chiller with distilled water and turn it on.
- Connect the air pump to the air assist nozzle using the provided hose. Turn on the air pump and adjust the air pressure to 5-7psi.
- Connect the exhaust fan to the exhaust port using the provided hose. Place the other end of the hose outside or connect it to a ventilation system.
- Connect the USB cable from the machine to your computer. Install the LightBurn software on your computer using the provided CD or download it from https://lightburnsoftware.com/.
- Turn on the machine using the main switch on the back panel. Wait for a few seconds until the control panel displays “Ready”.
- Press “Z/U” on the control panel to move the laser head to your desired home position